About writing ‘Chasing Rainbows’.



I have been told that ‘Chasing Rainbows’ is a ‘must-read’ for adult readers, male and female. That title was chosen because, in the harshness of an abusive situation as our childhood often was, the rainbow seemed to me a fascinating sign of hope-it still is. In my story, which is based on fact, my siblings called me ‘the day-dreamer’, always hoping for a brighter future.
My story begins in Zululand, now called Qua Zulu Natal in South Africa and proceeds down to Cape Town. Being also something of an artist helped me to describe the areas where my family lived and travelled.
During the writing of this story some strange, inexplicable coincidences and incidents happened. They confounded me and others close to me on this project, but I felt no fear, only anger at those gremlins causing so many delays! Anger also, for having to write certain things which are contrary to my nature. As a placebo, to distract my thoughts from the subject I “injected” a few poignant romantic interludes-a special one for my mother-something she only ever hinted at, but I think she would have approved of my adding that to her story!
‘Chasing Rainbows’, like other stories written on the subject of abuse, has the aim of helping those affected by it, but I think it is unique in that is also guides men to be aware that apart from ‘AIDS’, his body is open to other gruesome illnesses if they “indulge” in illicit sexual behaviour-it happened to Bruce; the name I used for my father in ‘Chasing Rainbows.’ Perhaps unique too because it crosses the “colour-line”; highlighting also the traumatic effects of apartheid.
Therefore it gives a twofold message; to those traumatised through abuse and through apartheid.
I hope that when you start reading ‘Chasing Rainbows’; you will find that ‘you simply cannot put it down’ and say ‘it is one of the best books I have read in a long time’ (referring to some of the comments I have received.)

No comments:

Post a Comment